Pasta Primavera (spring spaghetti)

Yummie factor: 8.
Italian-American cuisine. Vegetarian.

Last month Sirio Maccione, one of the most famous names in the culinary world, passed away. One of his inventions is Pasta Primavera, which is one of the most famous pasta recipes (the others are the Spaghetti “red” Bolognese and Spaghetti “white” Carbonara). This pasta is supposed to be made from fresh “green” vegetables without any meat so it’s healthy, well suited for vegetarians and other people who are concerned with certain meat ingredients due to their religions. The game changing in this pasta is the use of cream cheese (room kaas) instead of just the normal cooking-cream. My version uses anchovies, dried olives and a bit of Indian-curry.



Due to corona lockdown/self-sufficiency, I grow my own edible garden (moestuin). This was an old hobby (my parents & aunts are avid gardeners). When I lived in an ex-monastery in “Holy land” (Heiligelandstichting), we also had a moestuin (lots of monks like gardening… Mendel was also a monk). This spring my vegetables are not ready yet so I just bought them from the supermarket (except the herbs were fresh from garden). This late summer I hope my vegetables are grown enough to make my Primavera Pasta from my own garden.

Steps:
  1. Cut and boil the vegetables (e.g. broccoli, zucchini, peas, beans).
  2. Stir fry (red/sweet)onions, garlic, (yellow)paprika, chili peppers. Add the cooked vegetables (from step 1). Add vegetable-stock powder and parsley.
  3. Mamamia... now the tomato sauce: stir fry garlic with olive oil. Add tomato pulps. Add basil leaves (& optional: oregano, laurier, tyme), stock powder, black pepper. Separate the tomato liquid.
  4. Stir fry dente-cooked-spaghetti (e.g. penne) with olive oil & butter(optional). Add salt & pepper, tomato liquid (from step 3), dried tomato (optional), anchovies (optional). Cover the pan, cook with low heat. Add the vegetables (from step 2). Remove from heat. Add cream cheese (room kaas) and heavy cream and lemon juice (optional).
  5. Serve the spagheti with the tomato sauce (step 3). Garnish with parmigiano/parmesan cheese, pine nuts or other dry seeds. I also use dried olives and dried bacon (optional).



Variations:
  • You can use shrimp or bacon (spek) instead of anchovies.
  • Add madras curry of garam masala.

Comments